Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Growing Herbs 2.0



My husband and I made our first attempt at growing herbs in our kitchen in 2010 using an Aerogarden. A gimmicky product? Yeah, a bit. And a lot more expensive to use than growing herbs from seed in recycled planters, (which I'm going to try again very soon). At the time we thought the Aerogarden would be good for us. We wanted fresh herbs in the kitchen, but wanted to avoid what my husband lovingly calls WitherTouch™. I think you can guess what that is.

The Aerogarden was great. Despite its gimmicky-ness, it works very well at keeping plants alive and healthy. Eventually each herb died off anyway, and we didn't refill the planter until now.

About two weeks ago I started some new thyme, globe basil, dill, cilantro, sage, marjoram, and oregano, all of which have sprouted and seem to be thriving. I'd like to grow some herbs from seed and see if there's much difference in the taste or quality of the soil-grown plants vs. the hydroponic Aerogarden, or if I'm able to keep them alive for long.


Aww, I love you too, Cilantro.

That's all for today. More recipes soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment